Weather in Mijas

Sábado 05/04/2025

Actualidad

The A-7 motorway opens at La Joya residential area after being cut off by flooding

  • The flooding of the Charcón stream sweeps away a pedestrian bridge
  • All the crossings over streams and rivers and public parks have been closed
  • Aemet maintains active the orange alert for heavy rainfall until 21 hours on Monday 3rd
  • Estado del tráfico a las 11:20 horas de este lunes 3 |

Traffic was also cut off in Camino de Coín, La Cala and Polígono La Vega, although is is already opened

The A-7 motorway towards Algeciras was fully open to traffic at 12 noon at La Joya residential area, after suffering a total cut off at 10:30 hours this morning due to water pools between kilometre 1010 in Fuengirola and 1020 in Las Lagunas, although at around 11hours the left lane was opened to traffic, with the right lane remaining closed, which meant that there were traffic jams and a recommendation to take extreme caution on the roads. In addition, the Local Police have closed all the crossings over streams and rivers, as well as the public parks. Likewise, the Local Police have reported that this morning the Camino de Coín, at Local Police Headquarters, and the entire town of La Cala have been closed to traffic. However, traffic at both points has now been re-established "practically in its entirety". The La Vega industrial estate was also closed to traffic this morning, closing some businesses, although traffic has now been re-established. Underground junctions, such as the Torrenueva junction, are also being constantly checked. 

 
  • La crecida del arroyo Charcón se ha llevado por delante un puente peatonal, arrastrándolo varios metros y acabando en la playa |

The mayoress of Mijas, Ana Mata (PP), has informed that "the advisory committee of the Mijas Emergency Plan is meeting to constantly monitor the orange warning". "All caution is not enough, so be attentive to all the information that is transmitted through official channels", added the mayoress, who wanted to thank all the municipal workers, members of the Local Police, Fire Brigade, Civil Guard and Civil Protection, who have been working since early this morning for our safety due to the heavy rains and wind that we are suffering. 

For his part, the councillor for Operational Services, Daniel Gómez Teruel (PP), reported that the most important incident so far has been caused by the flooding of the Charcón stream, which has swept away a pedestrian bridge, dragging it several metres and ending up on the beach. The councillor explained that no major damage has been suffered. He also added that "both the Operational Services and Acosol have been evacuating water from the first moment, the problem is that more water was falling than was being evacuated", said Gómez Teruel, who explained that in other streams sand has accumulated, which will be removed throughout the week. "The rapid response teams were prepared for the three centres with signage panels and tools to open catch basin and evacuate the water as quickly as possible", said the councillor, who also thanked Mijas Comunicacion for their work in spreading information about the situation.

 
  • La alcaldesa de Mijas, Ana Mata, en el comité aseseor del Plan de Emergencias de Mijas |

Likewise, the councillor for the Fire Department  and Civil Protection, Francisco Jerez (Vox), explained that the most important incident in the municipality has been the cutting off of the A-7: "At El Faro, the Guardia Civil cut off traffic due to a flooding problem and, as soon as the rain has subsided, the water has evacuated and traffic has begun to flow". The councillor also talked about the cut off in Camino de Coín as the area receives "all the water coming from Doña Ermita" and the cut off of the crossings over streams and rivers "as a precaution". He also detailed that the playground of the Los Claveles nursery school has been flooded and water has accumulated in the street. "There are no major incidents due to flooding", Jerez specified.

 
  • Según la Confederación Hidrográfica del Sur han caído 80,8 litros por metro cuadrado en 12 horas en la Sierra de Mijas |

Actions by the fire brigade

Firefighters Mijas has received numerous calls throughout the morning due to the downpour that has affected mainly Las Lagunas, Mijas Costa and La Cala. 

The Mijas Fire Brigade has not had to carry out any rescues of people so far, although they have performed numerous actions throughout the morning. 

The most important action in which Firefighters Mijas was involved was at the Gran Hotel Costa del Sol in La Cala, where the parking area and the ground floor were affected, as, due to the intensity of the rains, the balling pumps were unable to drain all the water that was falling at that time, causing water pools.

Another urgent action carried out by the Fire and Rescue Service was the intervention in front of the San Cayetano cemetery, where large pools of water had formed and a dog was trapped in them. For safety reasons, the fire brigade intervened and rescued the dog, so that no vehicle would collide with it as it passed through the pool of water. 

As for stuck vehicles, the fire brigade received two alerts in Mijas for drivers who were trapped inside their vehicles and could not drive through the water ponds. In the end the occupants were able to get out under their own power and did not need the help of the fire brigade. These incidents occurred La Cala Town Centre, in the area around the Mercadona supermarket, and in the stream that crosses towards La Majadilla del Muerto. 

In the area of La Ponderosa, on the border with Fuengirola, firefighters from the neighbouring town had to rescue a vehicle next to the camping area, as it was trapped in a pond. 

In terms of flooding in homes, the Mijas Fire Brigade also received several calls about water entering basements and garages in the Faro, Calahonda and Playamarina areas, as well as in ground floors in Las Lagunas. This has occurred at times of maximum rainfall intensity , so the firefighters have been aware of the situation at all times and have advised residents to wait for the water to stop coming in and no further intervention has been necessary, nor the need for eviction.

The local police also reported that the current situation "is stable" and they have not had to carry out any "serious" action.

The situation has happened after a night of rainfall. The downpour became even more intense after 8:20 hours., surprising pedestrians and drivers, and flooding the roads in the area in seconds. All this was accompanied by thunderstorms and, at times, hail. According to the Southern Hydrographic Conference and Meteoclimatic, 113.4 litres per square metre were registered in 12 hours in La Cala de Mijas, while in the mountains, the accumulated amount was 80.8 litres, and in Mijas Pueblo, 53.4.

In Andalusia, the Emergency Plan for Flood Risk has been activated. It is in pre-emergency phase, operational situation 0, so the Junta de Andalucía has asked for extreme caution and to follow the advice of 112.

The AEMET is keeping the orange alert active on the Costa del Sol and Valle del Guadalhorce until 21:00 hours, for accumulated rainfall of 50 mm in one hour and 110 mm in 12 hours. 

 
  • Así se presenta el mapa este lunes.

Share it with this link: https://mijasint.com/?a=33370

Publicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad AiPublicidad Ai
La Cala de Mijas registra 113,4 litros por metro cuadrado en 12 horas
Malaga closed 2024 with hotel occupancy rate close to 80%, two points higher than in 2023
Visítanos en Facebook
Visítanos en Twiter
Visítanos en Linkedin
Visítanos en Instagram
Visítanos en Telegram
Visítanos en Youtube
RSS
NEWSLETTER